About Ms Payne
JANELLE PAYNE is a respected ‘senior junior’ barrister in Brisbane.
She is known for her forensic skill, in-depth analysis of the law and persuasive written submissions and pleadings.
- Janelle’s expertise includes complex contract disputes, retirement village disputes, managed investment schemes; director and shareholder-disputes, anti-competitive conduct, leasing, superannuation, banking, securities, franchising, trusts and professional disciplinary proceedings.
- Janelle has over 9+ years experience as a barrister, and a total of 15 years’ experience as a lawyer, having been admitted as a Solicitor in 2002 and called to the Bar in 2008.
- Prior to being called to the Bar, Janelle was a Senior Associate at Minter Ellison, Australia’s largest law firm.
- Janelle is one of those treasures with a passion for areas such as equity, property law and insolvency.
- Janelle is also experienced in mediation and ADR.
- Janelle is a highly-regarded individual with past leadership roles with WLAQ and on the QLS Litigation Rules Committee. She established the WLAQ Ladder mentoring program, now in its 8th year.
- Harvard University (Executive Education Program: Advanced Mediation Workshop, June 2016)
- Minter Ellison Alumni (formerly a Senior Associate in Minter Ellison’s Corporate and Financial Litigation & Insolvency (CFLI) team.
- Queensland Emergent Woman Lawyer of the Year, finalist (2005-2006).
- Master of Laws (QUT)
- Janelle enjoys complex and varied areas of law including civil penalties, directors’ duties, anti-competitive conduct including third-line forcing, securities (mortgages, charges, guarantees, security of payment/Romalpa clauses), property (real property, retirements villages, retail and commercial leases), businesses (franchising), partnerships, joint ventures and shareholder disputes, building and construction disputes, banking and finance, consumer law, equity, trusts and superannuation. She has a wealth of experience in insolvency (receivers, liquidators, administrators, bankruptcy, public examinations and rejection of proofs of debt) and in settling expert reports.
- As well as the above, Janelle has an interest in fertility law and was Counsel in the landmark case in which a same sex couple was named on a birth certificate.
- Janelle is also experienced in mediation (including as mediator) and ADR, including expert determination and arbitrations. She is interested in being involved in Commissions of Inquiry.
- Janelle is a highly-regarded individual with past leadership roles with WLAQ and on the QLS Litigation Rules Committee. Janelle was named Queensland Emergent Woman Lawyer of the Year, finalist (2005-2006) and established the WLAQ Ladder mentoring program.
- Janelle also has a cross section of real-world business experience: she’s helped grow a successful franchise system and has developed a nut-free protein spread for kids’ lunches. She is also an accomplished presenter.
- She accepts briefs from solicitors in all Courts and Tribunals, including the Supreme Court, District Court, Federal Court, Federal Circuit Court, QCAT and professional disciplinary tribunals.
- Janelle provides herself on preparation and attention to detail.
Janelle Payne is proud member of Burnett Lane Chambers. For information about her areas of practice or for a copy of her CV, please visit: